Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Changing the ASG Time Navigator TCP Port for MS-Exchange compatibility

At work we're in the process of upgrading from exchange 2007 to 2013. The windows guys got the job done with the usual little issues.
One unexpected issue occured when everything seemed to be ready to migrate the users to the new servers:
We were unable to install the Time Navigator Agent because TCP port 2525 was already in use by the exchange server as explained here.
We did not want to run into problems with future updates/patches on the Exchange server, so the TINA agent had to move over and use a different TCP Port.

That turned out to be easier than expected:
Time Navigator mostly relies on the services file of the operating system

Our backup server ist a CentOs machine, so the file is:
/etc/services

The  Exchange Servers are Windows servers, of course, so the services file is located at:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

The backup server uses the catalog name as a service entry. You'll find something like:
yourcat          2525/tcp        # Time Navigator (yourcat)
yourcat-msg      2526/udp        # Time Navigator (yourcat)

On the Exchange Server, tina seems to be the generic name of the service
tina            2525/tcp        # Time Navigator (tina)
tina-msg        2526/udp        # Time Navigator (tina)

The default for the UDP Port is 2526 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having the TCP protocol using the same port number. So TCP 2526 is the port of choice.

We changed:
/etc/services
to
yourcat          2526/tcp        # Time Navigator (yourcat)
yourcat-msg      2526/udp        # Time Navigator (yourcat)
(where "yourcat" is your catalog name)

and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
to
tina            2526/tcp        # Time Navigator (tina)
tina-msg        2526/udp        # Time Navigator (tina)

That only did the trick partially. The web interface wouldn't connect to the catalog. So after some investigations, I found out that the web interface does not rely on the services file.

The ports are hard wired in:
/usr/Atempo/AtempoWebInterfaces/apache-tomcat/webapps/YOURCAT/WEB-INF/config/TinaConfiguration.xml

Change the ports in the <catalogs> and the <webRestore> section.
Restart Tina's Tomcat:
/usr/Atempo/AtempoWebInterfaces/rc_startup_aws.sh restart

brings the web interface back with it's full functionality.

On our Solaris and Linux clients, all it took was changing the entry in the services file, as well. Then restart the tina daemon. That's it.

No comments:

Post a comment