DSO138 firmware updateA little while ago, I built the DSO 138 and blogged about it.
I was a bit disappointed at first to that JYE Tech wouldn't publish any new firmware releases, because the scope appears to have quite a bit untapped potential. Specifically the USB-Port.
So I was pleased to stumble over an announcment that they made the latest version available to the public. No USB support yet, but some great improvements like better zeroing.
The update process is pretty simple and you'll find an instructional video here.
Bill of materialsYou need:
- a dso 138 (obviously)
- a 3V level USB-Serial adapter
- soldering iron, solder and solder wick
- the hex-file with the firmware
- the Download-Utility
- the instructions
- Close the jumpers 1 and 2 on the back of the PCB
- Connect the USB-Serial Adapter
- Get the flash upload utility ready
The serial port number depends on your PC configuration.
Check in the device-manager which com-port appeared when you plugged
in the USB-Serial adapter
- Power up the scope
The screen will light up
- Be brave
- Select the .hex file
- Disconnect power and the USB adapter and re-open Jumper 1 and 2. This works great with solder wick, but you can also use the dry tip of the iron to remove the solder.
- Power up
New splash screen.