I've been working on this on-and-off for about two months and once it sort-of worked, I put the code in the dev-tree of the github project. Tonight I made good progress when I had figured out how Apple's IOS devices handled captive portals. Now we can play games on the logon-screen.
Windows mobile devices were less picky and worked weeks ago.
Currently it requires:
- an ESP-01 module (others will do as well)
- two AA batteries of a 3.7V lithium cell with a 1N diode in series to drop 0.6V
- some dupont jumper cables
On the software side:
- modified NodeMCU firmware
I use an older version 20150213 with two modifications:
Reduced the 4* LUALBUFFERSIZE back to the original value.
Switched on the DNS-feature of the DHCP server in softAP mode
- the .lua and .htm files found in the dev-branch here:
The firmware apparently contains binary blobs of unclear copyright, so I won't distribute the custom firmware. Building the firmware is well documented. Send a PM if you need help.
One of my friends already figured out where this all is going to lead eventually. So I didn't bother removing the clues from the code and html files.
The files in the dev branch are only partly translated.